It is a type of interaction in which members of one species kills and eats up members of the other species.
- Species that captures is the predator and the species that is killed is the prey.
- Most animals are predators leaving the scavengers.
- Insectivorous plants are also predators
e.g., Nepenthes, Utricularia, Dionaea, Drosera.
- It is nature’s way of transferring energy fixed by plants to higher trophic levels.
- They help in keeping the prey population under control or due to high population densities they can cause instability in the ecosystem.