- Skoog & co-workers showed that callus formation occurred when internodal segments of tobacco are cultured. In the nutrient medium in addition to auxin, they provided extracts of yeast, vascular tissues, coconut milk or DNA.
- Miller first discovered it from autoclaved Herring sperm DNA. He named it as kinetin.
- Letham first obtained natural cytokinin from maize grain & coconut milk, it is referred as Zeatin.
- Site of synthesis: Major source is roots & regions where rapid cell division occurs like meristems, root tip, buds, young leaves & developing fruits.
- Transported through the xylem.
- Derived from Adenine, it is 6-furfuryl aminopurine.