Animal Kingdom Mnemonics 3
Examples: Pinctada, Sepia, Octopus, Dentalium, Aplysia, Chaetopleura, Pila, Loligo.
Animal Kingdom Mnemonics 2
PHYLUM ASCHELMINTHES/ NEMATODA:
Examples: Ancylostoma, Wuchereria, Ascaris, Rhabditis.
Animal Kingdom Mnemonics1
PHYLUM PORIFERA (SPONGES):
Examples: Spongilla, Euspongia, Sycon
GENETIC DISEASES – Mnemonic
Autosomal recessive diseases:
- SICKLE CELL ANAEMIA: gene present on the 11th chromosome.
- PHENYLKETONURIA: gene present on the 12th chromosome.
- THALASSEMIA: α-thalassemia gene is present on 16th chromosome while β-thalassemia gene is present on the 11th chromosome.
- ALKAPTONURIA: the gene is present on the 3rd chromosome.
- CYSTIC FIBROSIS: the gene is present on 7th chromosome.
LOSS OF BIODIVERSITY
Biological wealth of our planet is declining rapidly. This is due to human activities as they derive benefits from the living world either directly or indirectly. This is due to the diversity of organisms. E.g., Colonisation of Tropical Pacific Island by humans led to the extinction of more than 2000 species of native birds.
IUCN Red List (2004): Extinction of 784 species i.e., 338 vertebrates, 359 Invertebrates, 87 Plants, have occurred in the last 500 years.
Recent extinctions are:
- Dodo in Mauritius.
- Quagga in Africa.
- Thylacine in Australia.
- Steller sea cow in Russia.
- 3 species of Tiger: Bali, Java & Caspian.
In the last 20 years, 27 species have disappeared. Extinction across taxa is not random, some groups like Amphibians are more vulnerable. More than 15,500 species worldwide are facing the threat of extinction.
It is an interaction between two species in which one species is benefitted and the other species is neither harmed nor benefitted. The species that benefits is the commensal and the other is the host.
- Orchids grow as epiphytes on branches of mango.
- Barnacles growing on whales back. Barnacles are arthropods and their larvae grow on the whale.
- Cattle ergets and grazing cattle – when the cattle graze the grass it flushes out the insects.The ergets feed on these insects.
- Clownfish living on the stinging tentacles of sea anemone protects itself from predators.