I am starting a Youtube channel for Simplified Biology.
I will post videos of important topics and mnemonics in the coming weeks.
Please suggest what all topics do you want me to put videos of by dropping a message on the Simplified Biology Facebook page or writing a mail at [email protected]
And Please SUBSCRIBE!
Photosynthesis is a process by which chlorophyll-containing cells synthesize carbohydrate from carbon dioxide & water with the help of solar energy & the byproduct is oxygen. It occurs in the Chloroplast. During the light reaction, light energy is converted into chemical energy in the form of ATP & NADPH. This ATP & NADPH is used in the dark reaction to fix CO2 in the stroma. Photophosphorylation occurs in the thylakoids (grana) & involves Photosystem I & II. A Photosystem is a group of closely associated pigments molecules that help in converting solar energy into chemical energy. Also referred as Light-harvesting complexes. It is of 2 types, Non- Cyclic & Cyclic.
Electron Transport Chain
Electrons from NADH and FADH2 are passed through a series of electron acceptors present in the inner membrane of mitochondria.
- 2 NADH produced during glycolysis,
- 2 NADH, produced during pyruvic acid oxidation, &
- 6 NADH AND 2 FADH2, produced during Kreb cycle.
Four enzyme complexes of ETC
- Complex I – NADH dehydrogenase complex.
- Complex II – Succinate-UQ reductase complex.
- Complex III – UQH2-cytochrome c reductase complex.
- Complex IV – Cytochrome c oxidase complex.