Digestion of carbohydrates:
In oral cavity:
- Amylase (ptyalin) converts starch & glycogen → Maltose.
In the small intestine:
By Pancreatic juices:
- α – Amylase converts starch → Maltose.
By Intestinal juices:
- Maltase converts maltose →glucose.
- Sucrase converts sucrose → glucose & fructose.
- Lactase converts lactose → glucose & galactose.
Digestion of proteins:
By Gastric juices:
- HCl provides acidic pH.
- Pepsinogen (proenzyme) converted by HCl into Pepsin.
Pepsin converts protein into peptones & proteoses.
- Prorenin (proenzyme) converted by HCl into Renin.
Renin converts Casein (milk protein) into the peptide.