According to this principle, the frequency of alleles & genotype in a population remains constant from generation to generation, if the population is stable & in genetic equilibrium.
GENE POOL: Total genes & their alleles in a population. Its gene pool remains constant.
This is applicable in case of:
- Diploid organisms.
- Sexually reproducing organisms.
- Large populations: as this helps to ensure that chance alone does not disrupt genetic equilibrium.
- Organisms showing random mating.
- No mutation or if they occur the rate is same in both directions.
- All members of a population survive and have equal reproductive potential.